The 10-A s of Personal Safety for Women & Kids- Part II
|DON'T LET HIM CLOSE DISTANCE|
- The common ploy is to come near you, under a pretext - like asking for directions. Give them clear instructions to be at least 6 feet away and ask whatever they have to.
- By giving him clear area demarcation, you will know early that his intentions are criminal if he crosses that 'lakshman rekha’
|DON'T BE SUBTLE IN SAYING 'NO'|
- Subtle hints do not work with men who are drunk or sexually excited. Speak clearly that you dislike what they are doing.
- Teach this to young girls, because they are also confused, when a known person behaves dirty.
- Some may wonder, what so novel about this suggestion.Well, the reality is, when in shock many people get rooted into a comatose state.
- Run towards crowded places.
- If possible keep changing directions since it is difficult for a drunken attacker to comprehend and switch directions fast.
- Create as many obstacles as possible for the attacker.
- At the earliest opportunity start calling emergency contact numbers.
- If you are vulnerable due to your habits or work-timings keep the emergency number on fast dial.
When in trouble make sure people around know that
- Normally the public is also confused about how to react when they see a conflict.
- Ask for help clearly. Don’t assume people around understand.
- The problem is most can't shout anything coherent in fear. The easiest is to keep on repeating loudly, a small phrase like “Get off”. “Go away” “ Rape!”. Just repeat it.
|TEACH KIDS TO HANDLE STRANGERS|
- Teach kids to scream “ He is NOT my Dad” if accosted by a stranger.
- Teach kids to memorize name & contact details of parents.
|DON'T ASSUME HELPLESSNESS|
- I ask those women “ Will you be a mute spectator if you see your daughter or sister being molested?”
- When a woman can jump in to help others , she can take care of herself too.
|GO FOR GROIN|
- A criminal is looking for a soft target, who gives him the assurance that he can get his job done easy and fast.
- If he feels that you are not going to be as easy as he assumed and this may result in a prolonged confrontation, he loses interest.
- Extreme aggression is a powerful deterrent even if it is faked.
- Act Defiant. Shout loudly. Kick, scratch, bite.
- Go for the Eyes, Groin and other vulnerable spots.
|USE ANYTHING WITHIN REACH|
In KravMaga we teach women to use any available object -
- Shield like - Bags, Chairs
- Stick like - Umbrellas, Broomsticks
- Knife like - Pens, Forks, Scissors
- Stone like- Paper weights, artifacts, Vessels
- Blinding - Alcohol, Sand, Perfume/Deodorant
- Under extreme threat scenarios, invest in a pepper spray or any deterrent device, depending on local laws..
- Learn a practical street smart self defense. like KravMaga.